Active Partnerships: our collective response to the war in Ukraine
Date: 16 March 2022 Author: Energise Me
Last week, Active Partnerships from across the country came together to discuss how we can play our part in responding to the horrific crisis unfolding in Ukraine.
We fully recognise that the atrocities taking place in Ukraine are happening within the wider context of war and refugee plight right across the world. We stand not only with the people of Ukraine, but with all victims of war, and hope that together we can use the power of sport and physical activity to welcome, include and embrace all refugees.
Active Partnerships will
- support the efforts of the Disasters Emergency Committee and invite partners and sports networks in our communities to get behind their appeal, raising vitally needed funds where they are needed most.
- build on existing work in our respective areas listening to the needs of local refugee organisations.
- use sport and physical activity to help incoming refugees feel welcome, settled and included in our communities.
- share our collective learnings and best practice, so that we can build on what’s already working well.
- work closely with Sport England and other national partners on future work with refugees.
How our partners and sports networks can help:
- If you are able to donate, please give what you can to the DEC Appeal and encourage your networks to do the same.
- We can all play our part in creating welcoming, inclusive communities for refugees. The Refugee Council are a good source of information on the issues as well as giving guidance on how you can help. The City of Sanctuary also provide some practical ways that you can support the people of Ukraine.
These are incredibly sad, challenging times, but by working together as a national network we can and will make a difference. Sport and physical activity can help to unite communities, create solidarity, and rebuild happy and safe lives. Over the next few months, this will be needed more than ever before.