Get Active Outdoors
Getting active outdoors is great for your health and can instantly improve your mood. Use what’s around you to inspire your physical activity. Dust off your comfy shoes and enjoy a walk in the beautiful surroundings of the New Forest or get your adrenaline flowing with some watersports action on Hampshire’s coastline. The choices are endless and many of them are free.
There are so many opportunities to get into the fresh air and we’re here to help point you in the right direction. We’ve got lots of information about where, when and what you can do, all broken down into categories to cover outdoor pursuits, activities and fitness. Here are a few suggestions to get you thinking.
- Breeze cycling – These free all-female rides are about building confidence on your bike and having fun whilst you’re doing it. You can ride with a supportive and friendly female-only group and choose a speed and distance that suits you. Experience the rush of the outdoors and get social with a coffee and a chat afterwards. Use your postcode to find your nearest group on the Breeze Cycling website.
- parkrun – parkrun events are held all over the world. With plenty in Hampshire, you’ll never struggle to find one close to you. The timed 5K run takes place weekly and caters for all levels, ages and abilities. Park run events are free, safe and take place in beautiful surroundings. Find a parkrun near you.
- Walking to health – Even taking a simple stroll to your local shops can really lift your mood and get the blood pumping. If you’re just starting on your journey to get active, then walking is a great way to build your fitness. You don’t need any special equipment, and there are plenty of great local health walks across the region.
- Beginner running -Groups like Run Verity really show how inspirational group exercise can be, especially for those looking to build confidence, return from illness or injury or just start on their fitness journey. Check out the blogs written by their members who have gone from couch to 5k! Take a look at RunTogether in useful links to find your nearest running group.
- Geocaching– Geocaching is an outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS devices. There are hundreds to find on our patch. Embark on this exciting digital outdoor adventure with the family and discover and learn new things, whilst getting active. To get started download the geocaching app today.
- Hampshire’s Country parks – offer ample space for outdoor exploration and adventure. They have plenty of play areas, nature walks, cycle tracks and discovery trails. Discover a trail perfect for you.
- National Parks – Visit the South Downs National Park it has something for everyone. ‘Stay, explore and enjoy!’
Take a look at the Useful Links on the left for more inspiration.